tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Juli/Logging
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 02:47:10 GMT

On Jul 31, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> our default bundled JULI only has a binding for java.util.logging. On
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/extras.html
>
> there is a very short description, how one builds a JULI, that is
> log4j enabled. The static binding was chosen, because commons-
> logging auto detection provided to many problems w.r.t.
> redeployment and classloader leaks.

Cool, thanks.

> My personal opinion: java.util.logging very much lacks a good
> formatter. The default 2 line formatting of messages, splitting
> timestamps and message in separate lines, is not really useful in
> production. Many ad hoc log analysis practices work on a line
> oriented basis.

Was wondering about that.  I've heard people grumble about
java.util.logging, but haven't (till now) heard anything specific.
Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but the Tomcat 6 log
files still seem to follow the one line per message format.  How did
you pull that off?

-David