tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Juli/Logging
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:27:09 GMT
Hi David,

our default bundled JULI only has a binding for java.util.logging. On

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/extras.html

there is a very short description, how one builds a JULI, that is log4j
enabled. The static binding was chosen, because commons-logging auto
detection provided to many problems w.r.t. redeployment and classloader
leaks.

My personal opinion: java.util.logging very much lacks a good formatter.
The default 2 line formatting of messages, splitting timestamps and
message in separate lines, is not really useful in production. Many ad
hoc log analysis practices work on a line oriented basis.

Regards,

Rainer

David Blevins wrote:
> So another topic,
>
> There's a thread going on in OpenEJB at the moment about possibly
> switching away from log4j for the reason that the logging config gets
> easily messed up in embedded environments (maven, specificaly) and of
> course to have one less dependency -- the 3.0 server is a bit beefier
> than the 1.0.
>
> I remembered not seeing log4j or commons logging in Tomcat 6 and started
> investigating -- how I discovered the inlining.  Seems juli is a trimmed
> down version of commons-logging (attractive), but it isn't obvious
> what's driving the actual logging.  Didn't see any inlined log4j
> classes.  Are you using java.util.Logging or something else?
>
> Also noticed the javadoc of juli says it allows for per-classloader
> configuration of logging.  What exactly does that mean?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -David

kippdata
informationstechnologie GmbH   Tel: 0228 98549 -0
Bornheimer Str. 33a            Fax: 0228 98549 -50
53111 Bonn                     www.kippdata.de

HRB 8018 Amtsgericht Bonn / USt.-IdNr. DE 196 457 417
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Höfer, Rainer Jung, Sven Maurmann
kippdata
informationstechnologie GmbH   Tel: +49 228 98549 -0
Bornheimer Str. 33a            Fax: +49 228 98549 -50
D-53111 Bonn                   www.kippdata.de