tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Removing the examples (JSP/servlet) in TC Binaries
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 02:46:11 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> jean-frederic clere wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The examples (servlet and JSP) have caused a list of security issues.
>> I think we should remove them from the Tomcat binary packages (6.0 and
>> 5.x at least).
>> Any comments?
>
> If the examples are broken, then we have serious problems,
> either with examples or with the release itself.
>
> The sole purpose of examples should be that the they
> *must* work and that random user can use them as start
> point for his code.

In the real world, people will actually use a book or a tutorial, and no
longer need anything more than a "it works" static page. These examples
were developed by Sun and part of the API bundle, and do not resemble in
any way the current web applications.

I do not plan to continue shipping them in any Tomcat 6.0 binary,
although they will remain in the source bundle.

Rémy