tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Serious non-native AJP connector issue
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2007 00:14:22 GMT
Rainer Jung wrote:
> Jess,
>
> I didn't really carefully think about the case of a saturated pool.
> But nevertheless some hints:
>
> 1) There is always one thread waiting for the accept, which is a usual
> pool thread. So an offset of one between threeads processing requests
> and the pool size is normal.
Got that, but I've accounted for that via maxThreads of 51 and
BalanceMember max of 50.

I'm left wondering why there's an off-by-one beyond this (and thus an
off-by-2 overall).
> 2) There is no orderly shutdown in AJP13 for a connection, neither
> from the httpd side, not from the Tomcat side. mod_jk will realize
> closed connections and reopen them, but I have the impression, that
> mod_proxy fails a backend when it gets a connection error.
>
> Tomcat in my experience reliably closes a connection and frees the
> thread, when the web server does.
>
> Most of the time it makes sense to have a connectionTimeout
> (Milliseconds) and a connection_pool_timeout (seconds, mod_jk) resp.
> ttl (seconds, mod_proxy) which are in sync. But: they will never
> harmonize completely, because mod_jk only checks for the need to throw
> away closed connections during maintenance (every 60 seconds or
> whatever is configured with worker.maintain) and I think mod_proxy
> checks the ttl whenever a connection is put back into the pool.
I don't think any of those should be involved in this short test.
> 3) Does it happen with mod_jk too?
I believe so.  I did some mod_jk testing to verify the overall nature of
the issue remained the same, but I didn't go through all the same
detailed tests.  I could redo this particular test if that's helpful.
> 4) Weird guesses:
>
> - max is limited with mod_proxy to the number of threads per process
> configured in your MPM (worker?).
>
> This is 25 by default. So if we want to have an easy to understand
> scenario, set your threads per process to say 60 and min=max=50 as
> well as removing the smax and the ttl.. That way 50 connections should
> be started on startup (per httpd process; check with netstat), and we
> shouldn't see any resizing during your ab test. Now start your ab test
> before Tomcat will timeout (I remember that connectionTimeout had some
> default value, even if you don't set it, but it is in the minutes).
My Apache MaxClients is 300 and this is on Windows so I only have 1
worker process.
> If you don't run into trouble then, we know your observation has to do
> with resizing of connection pools.
>
> *Maybe*: ab is too fast and can come back with new requests faster,
> than the connections go back into the pool after the end of a request
> in httpd. Not very reasonable, but possible. Of cource the pool is
> synchronized and the lock doesn't need to behave fair, i.e. when it
> gets contended, it's not clear if the oldest waiting thread gets it
> first.
I believe I disproved this at some point by running 2 tests with -n 50
and -c 50 manually back to back, but I'd have to re-test to be sure.
[I'm wishing I'd taken better notes of various results...]

Apart from this weird edge condition (an off-by-2 isn't that devastating
if it stays "2" in all cases), the thing that gets me overall is that
the documentation really makes it sound like "acceptCount" works like a
fair queue and that there's no harm in exceeding maxThreads except that
requests will be queued.  As Bill suggested, I should come up with
suggested patches to the documentation -- I'm just not yet confident
enough in my understanding to propose such patches.  At this point all I
can propose is strong warning verbage around maxThreads and acceptCount
regarding their behavior for the Java AJP connector.

--
Jess Holle