tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed simplification of CometEvent
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:05:19 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> In the sandbox version:
> - sleep() and setTimeout(int) -> why not sleep(int millis) ? I think it's
> confusing to have both and the interactions between them, in
> particular setTimeout is marked optional ? It makes sense to have
> setTimeout() as a general timeout.

setTimeout() is not optional (the javadoc is out of date, sorry), there
was an agreement on that earlier. Timeout sets the connection timeout,
which is most likely useful even if there are events. It's quite
possible sleep could use a timeout argument (I think calling setTimeout
is more or less mandatory when using sleep, and OTOH calling setTimout
is not as important otherwise).

> - not sure I understand the use case for isReadable()/isWriteable() - when
> will this be called ? My understanding was that when
> the connection is readable, a callback will be generated with EventType ==
> READ. Also it's very confusing to mix the 'blocking' in the
> isReadable()/isWriteable() - it would be much cleaner to say that the
> connection is always non-blocking, and add a method to switch to blocking
> mode ( then use the regular servlet methods maybe ). Using the ComentEvent
> for both is IMHO dangerous.

Although the read event indicates there's data to read, isReadable
indicates if it is possible to continue reading.

isWriteable indicates if the last write operation managed to write more
than 0 bytes. If the last write wrote 0, then isWriteable will return
false, so the servlet knows it should stop writing on this connection
for now (since it cannot accept any output at the moment). Later on, the
servlet will receive a write event, and can resume writing.

It is possible to add a blockingMode flag, but I've looked into it a
bit, and found out it is not really needed:
- If doing asynchronous writes using a background thread, non blocking
helps (if somehow a connection blocks, no other connection will get any
data until the write completes or times out). I don't see how blocking
mode could be desired in this case, and the servlet should always be
using isWriteable.
- If doing synchronous writes inside some event (either a read or
callback event, most likely), then both blocking and non blocking mode
make sense. Some servlets may prefer to use blocking mode although it
could be holding a thread for a while (for example if the idea is only
to delay the response), and some others could choose to be more
scalable. Since it is possible to detect if the write is done inside a
Tomcat thread, and since a servlet which wishes to handle incomplete
writes would be using isWriteable, it is possible to know when we're in
the situation where the servlet would prefer blocking. In that case, the
algorithm in the write method of the connector would be: check if the
last write returned 0, set blocking mode, flush leftover bytes and send
the additional bytes which are being written, set non blocking mode.
It's a trick (of course, it is possible to do the same thing for read),
and the main drawback is that there are extra operations, but they would
occur only if needed.

> - will sleep() still allow callbacks ( and if not - what will happen with
> them )? What's going to happen with callbacks if callback() is not called ?

Yes, sleep is meant mostly to handle the reply-later design easily. The
servlet calls sleep(), and is supposed to call callback()
(asnychronously, most likely) as a result of something. The connection
will then wake and the servlet will get a callback event. If callback is
not called, the connection will timeout and the servlet will get its
timeout event (according to the connector timeout or the one that has
been configured for the connection).

> In general ( both versions):
> - it would be great to move it from o.a.catalina to org.apache.comet

It's a possibility.

Rémy