tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r545127 - in /tomcat/container/tc5.5.x: catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core/ApplicationDispatcher.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:46:19 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>> pero@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: pero
>>> Date: Thu Jun  7 02:33:59 2007
>>> New Revision: 545127

>>> Log:
>>> Fix correct ApplicationDispatcher forward/include handling after an
>>> exception is thrown. This patch fix a memory leak
>>> as <code>STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE</code> system property is enabled

>>> and that cluster  crossContext session replication
>>> working correct after an exception is thrown at a
>>> RequestDispatcher.forward/include call.
>>> But I don't really like this double try/catch implementation ;-(
>>
>> Yes, whatever you are trying to fix, this sort of last minute patch is
>> not reasonable to me. -1.
> Peter, I need a response/action from you, as I am supposed to tag and
> generate our candidate binaries today

I see this particular patch is meant to call endAccess when there's an
exception invoking the request dispatcher, which could cause problem in
cross context. Well, maybe, because I don't see why a single try/finally
wouldn't do the same thing, and it does some funky stuff like move some
method calls.

This sort of last minute patch is bad practice :( I did it in the past,
and you usually have "good" reasons for it, but it should be explicitly
forbidden in favor of proposing delaying the release (which may be
accepted or not).

Rémy