tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r544137 - /tomcat/connectors/trunk/jk/native/common/jk_uri_worker_map.c
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:41:42 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> As I see it, we have two options:
> a) Prevent Tomcat from decoding the uri a second time at step 7 above
> b) Re-encode the uri in mod_jk between steps 5 and 6
>
> The problem with b) is that we can't easily tell what characters were
> previously encoded and need to be re-encoded. b) is also inefficient.
>
> Doesn't this mean a) is really the only option?

I think:
- it's the proxy which should have options for adapting to what the
proxied server does
- mod_jk is supposed to be a transparent proxy (and as such give Tomcat
a non decoded uri); despite what it could break in httpd, decoding the
uri at all is evil, since the character encoding used could be different
from the one used in Tomcat

So I am not in favor of a).

Rémy