tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comet changes
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 21:42:42 GMT
Hi,
Overall I haven't been very involved with Comet, and only used it in
testing / playing around, not in production.  But that said, your
proposed changes make good sense to me.

On 5/6/07, Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org> wrote:
> To summarize, I propose the following additions in the Comet
> functionality for the next Tomcat 6.0 release (the various names are
> proposals, I am not very good at names):
> - per event timeout becomes mandatory

I really like this, for it brings consistency and predictability.

> - refactor a bit the poller for the APR endpoint and add per connection
> timeout support; I also don't like the multiple poller threads design
> anymore - it is only useful on Windows, and would be replaced by using a
> single thread with multiple pollers and a shorter pollTime

+1.

> - notify method on the event (wakes a connection from the endpoint, and
> invoke a NOTIFY event)
> - add NOTIFY as a new CometEvent.EventType

+1, generally useful for other interesting scenarios too.

> Comments ?

Good stuff.

Yoav