tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r541337 - in /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/connector: CometEventImpl.java CoyoteAdapter.java
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 16:50:12 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> I know you do, however, it's not expensive, it's not a lot of code, and
> it will avoid a lot of bugs and questions on the user list.
> Servlet programmers aren't really familiar with connection/poller
> mechanics, and we can't expect them to be either.
> so what we need to do is that the API is so straight forward and throws
> the correct exceptions if they invoke methods that would interfere with
> the underlying connection asynchronously.

It's exactly the same issue with adding syncs in some places in an
unsynced API, and pretend it's more robust. Some users will hack things
and run into horrible problems, but will complain (after looking into
the code) that place Y is not synced while place X was, and it's not
consistent :|

I will revisit this eventually, but it's not urgent at all.

Rémy