tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Annotation processing - Geronimo injection
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 17:10:10 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> I tend to agree that a new branch is more appropriate.  However, earlier
> versions of the patch had a compatibility layer so the old api could
> continue to work.  I'm happy to add that back in on request.

I am examining the patch in detail as part of the new trunk branch
(adjusting things like package names), and unfortunately it turns out I
still dislike it due to design implications with Jasper.

Modern JSPs now uses lots of tags, and especially lots of SimpleTags,
which are not pooled. As a result, the InstanceManager design leads to
replacing "new MySimpleTag()" with "newInstance(String className)"
(which creates the instance in a much more expensive way). Maybe adding
access to InstanceManager.newInstance(Object instance) would be a
solution (in effect making InstanceManager an extension of the old
AnnotationProcessor).

Rémy