tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Versioning in sources
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 11:14:10 GMT
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 19:46 +0200, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>
>> aah, that makes sense.
>>
>> Remember that the release manager is carrying his/her own
>> build.properties, and if you build from source, you should too.
>> in there you override any properties needed. That is why all binary
>> builds are correct, but your build isn't.
>>

> Sure, and I can sed this in the build process, but prefer to not modify
> upstreams stuff as much as possible.
>

>> what you are asking for is that we update build.properties.default
>> before tagging a release, correct?
>>

> Yes, please. So that if one downloads versioned sources, and just builds
> it by invoking ant with all defaults. The resulting build version will
> match the sources it was built from.

I'll try to remember to do it for 5.5.x, Remy will opt out doing it, so
you shouldn't depend on it.
To Remy's defense, its kind of pain in the butt having a version number
in SVN that get's tagged anyway,
so you might be better off just keeping the version yourself, right now
you're only releasing plain vanilla ASF stuff,
but in the future you could add stuff to the release, or modify it, and
hence want to also modify the version number when you build

Filip