tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: New branch ?
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 17:40:42 GMT
Hi,

I think Yoav might have misunderstood your suggestion. I interprete the
branch you posted as the one, you suggest to use for the maintenance of
the existing 6.0.x source and to use trunk to proceed with working on
annotations, comet etc.

What I would find a little strange, would be using

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/

as the trunk and working on 6.next there. Unfortunately svn does neither
have tags nor branches, so we are free to produce very complicated
constructions if we like :)

My impression is, that

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/

in fact is a branch, namely the 6.0 development branch and should
contain all 6.0 development. The mainstream parts in

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/

(it's actually the head of 6.0), the more experimental parts, which are
still planned for first release in 6.0 and not in 6.next would be
developped in

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/branches

So development which is targeted against 6.next in my opinion should go
into

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/

(which means we would have several paths with the word trunk in them) or
we reorganize (puuh) by moving

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/branches/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/tags/

into

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/branches/tc6.0.x/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/branches/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/

and delete the then empty
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/

Of course this will break a lot and at the end we will most likely use a
construction close to what we have now, but this layout seems to be the
most traditional.

Regards,

Rainer