tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r536830 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina: CometEvent.java connector/CometEventImpl.java
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 15:32:01 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> it's more than just cool, its extremely practical.
> If I only want to "unregister READ", all I have to do is
> register(getRegisteredOps() & (~OP_READ))
> with the enums, that are not as cool, I need a little piece of code that
> singles it out.

For sure, with enums, you definitely don't look as cool since you'd be
writing unregister(OP_READ) :D

> I'll leave the enum in there, but if you change your mind, I like the
> "and/or" tricks, and be happy to stick them back in,
> it's just not worth delaying the impl effort for

I agree and/or tricks are cool. It feels like C, and I enjoy that in
APR, but I think it's less appropriate in a Java API (where Sun
demonstrated you have to think that objects are free, and GC does not
exist :D ).

BTW, I don't understand why you like NIO, those Java APIs are not fun ;)

Rémy