tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Proposed new CometEvent.notify method
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 13:27:21 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
>> No, I don't agree with reading bytes in the lower layer as it would
>> swallow problems even more than doing it in the adapter without any
>> additional benefit (BTW, read cannot return 0). There's also a likely
>> problem that it would require additional structures to hold that
>> data, and which are present in the adapter.
>
> Speaking of swallowing problems due to reading, you wrote this on the
> user list:
>
> On 5/4/07, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devlists@hanik.com> wrote:
> > This is because when an event happens, CoyoteAdapter will now check the
> > channel by doing a read(in order for available to work). This will
> close
> > the underlying connection, and you'll get this error.
>
> CoyoteAdapter reads and generates the appropriate event according to
> the read result (previously, it generated a read event without doing a
> read). There's no close being done in CoyoteAdapter (except if there's
> an exception, in which case everything is recycled, but it doesn't
> seem to be the siutation you describe).
turns out the user found a problem, what I was describing is a possible,
but very hard scenario to actual run into. the CoyoteAdapter->read(on a
client disconnect) would have to happen at the same time as
otherThread->Servlet->write
but as you said, he didn't run into this scenario, he was able to
synchronize to avoid it, since the adapter calls close/end if there is
an exception upon the read.
so we are good, "tag along"
Filip