tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Proposed new CometEvent.notify method
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 00:41:20 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>>> It's the contract of this API (which is blocking IO), it's not me ;)
>> I hear you loud and clear, although the API doesn't specify as 0
>> being an illegal value, it is assumed in many places in the code that
>> the value is either -1 or >0
>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/io/InputStream.html#read(byte[])
>

> 0 is the characteristic of non blocking IO. Reading the javadocs, it
> seems obvious 0 is never allowed except for basic argument error cases:
>
> If b is null, a NullPointerException is thrown. If the length of b is
> zero, then no bytes are read and 0 is returned; otherwise, there is an
> attempt to read at least one byte. If no byte is available because the
> stream is at end of file, the value -1 is returned; otherwise, at
> least one byte is read and stored into b.
>
>> I still don't think CoyoteAdapter.event is the right place for it
>> either, I think we can do better than that.
>> Let me experiment a little bit, in the meantime, I still think we
>> should push out a stable version sooner rather than later.
>
> Ok, I'll try something in the meantime in CoyoteAdapter, since it's
> trivial (and I think does all that is needed at this point).
The available() has a side effect, if there is a partial or non valid
chunked header (ie the client also sends some garbage), available()
returns >0, and the read() goes into a forever blocking read as no more
data is coming in.
this was not the case before, as a READ event, you did one read, and
then available returned 0, and you'd be fine until next READ event.
since it's a client data error, I'm ok with it, question is, how common
are these client errors.

> I would be ok to tag 6.0.13 before doing any further functional
> changes, as it contains numerous bugfixes since 6.0.10.
Let us wait a few days for these available() changes to get some
feedback, then we can tag and go through our stability tests.

Filip