tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed new CometEvent.notify method
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 00:00:40 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> It's the contract of this API (which is blocking IO), it's not me ;)
> I hear you loud and clear, although the API doesn't specify as 0 being
> an illegal value, it is assumed in many places in the code that the
> value is either -1 or >0
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/io/InputStream.html#read(byte[])

0 is the characteristic of non blocking IO. Reading the javadocs, it
seems obvious 0 is never allowed except for basic argument error cases:

If b is null, a NullPointerException is thrown. If the length of b is
zero, then no bytes are read and 0 is returned; otherwise, there is an
attempt to read at least one byte. If no byte is available because the
stream is at end of file, the value -1 is returned; otherwise, at least
one byte is read and stored into b.

> I still don't think CoyoteAdapter.event is the right place for it
> either, I think we can do better than that.
> Let me experiment a little bit, in the meantime, I still think we should
> push out a stable version sooner rather than later.

Ok, I'll try something in the meantime in CoyoteAdapter, since it's
trivial (and I think does all that is needed at this point).

I would be ok to tag 6.0.13 before doing any further functional changes,
as it contains numerous bugfixes since 6.0.10.

Rémy