tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Proposed new CometEvent.notify method
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 23:14:13 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>>> No, I don't agree with reading bytes in the lower layer as it would
>>> swallow problems even more than doing it in the adapter without any
>>> additional benefit (BTW, read cannot return 0). There's also a
>>> likely problem that it would require additional structures to hold
>>> that data, and which are present in the adapter.
>> Let's not shut it down quite yet, and move forward, as I think there
>> could be some value behind this.
>
> It's simply I feel CoyoteAdapter.event is a better place to experiment
> with doing a read and is extremely simple (it would call
> InputBuffer.realReadBytes).
>
>> also, why can't read return 0?
>
> It's the contract of this API (which is blocking IO), it's not me ;)
I hear you loud and clear, although the API doesn't specify as 0 being
an illegal value, it is assumed in many places in the code that the
value is either -1 or >0
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/io/InputStream.html#read(byte[])

I still don't think CoyoteAdapter.event is the right place for it
either, I think we can do better than that.
Let me experiment a little bit, in the meantime, I still think we should
push out a stable version sooner rather than later.

Filip