tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Releasing Tomcat Connectors 1.2.22
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:49:08 GMT

On Apr 13, 2007, at 7:20 AM, Yoav Shapira wrote:

> Let's try to chill out, please ;)  I'm sure putting the candidate
> binaries on the official mirrors before the vote was an honest
> mistake.  So let's move them to /dev/dist, have a proper vote like
> we're having right now, and then put the legit release on the mirrors
> again in a couple of days.

++1 (especially on the chill out part ;) ) !!

I think the issue is that, especially with the number
of podlings in incubator, the basic release rules for
ASF projects are getting kinda relaxed... The main
points are that (1) the main legal thing the PMC
(and ASF does) is release s/w. It is when almost
all aspects of licensing, liability, etc kick in.
(2) Therefore the PMC must "approve" the *exact*
distribution being released. For example,
if I create tarball A, people test it and say
"Yep, it's good to go", then tarball A *must*
be what is released. I cannot create a new tarball
and release that, even if "the exact same" as
tarball A.