tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Gomez" <henri.go...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: snprintf/vsnprintf in mod_jk
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:32:20 GMT
2007/4/14, Guenter Knauf <fuankg@apache.org>:
> Hi,
> > We have those routines twice (in jk_util.c and jk_status.c).
> > We are also assuming that the platforms always have snprintf() in
> > jk_lb_worker.c for example.
> yes, and that was one reason why I couldnt build post-1.2.15 versions for NetWare Apache
1.3.x and Netscape.

> > In jk_global.h there is:
> > +++
> > /* XXXX There is a snprintf() and vsnprintf() in jk_util.c */
> > /* if those work remove the #define. */
> > #if defined(NETWARE) || defined(AS400)
> > #define USE_SPRINTF
> > #define USE_VSPRINTF
> > #endif
> > +++
>
> > Could someone check that the snprintf() and snprintf() of jk_util.c are
> > working on NETWARE and AS400?
> I've just checked with these, and they dont work for NetWare because we have no /dev/null
support.
> Therefore I would like to suggest another approach: let us import ap_snprintf.c from
Apache 1.3.x into the mod_jk project.
> I think this is a good solution; we have there a ready-to-use stable implementation,
and every platform which lacks of an own snprintf() / vsnprintf() implementation can then
pick this up only when not build with/for Apache; when build with Apache 1.3.x then its even
not needed to compile this external ap_snprintf.c because then we can directly import ap_snprintf()
/ ap_vsnprint() from Apache, and only need the defines in jk_global.h.

> I have hacked a new header ap_snprintf.h:
> http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/diffs/ap_snprintf.h
>
> and patched ap_snprintf.c from Apache 1.3.37 to build standalone:
> http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/diffs/ap_snprintf.c.diff
>
> then changed the defines in jk_global.h:
> http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/diffs/jk_global.h.diff
>
> these changes let me again build mod_jk for Apache 1.3 and also the Netscape plugin for
NetWare platform.

> Also we can then remove the other snprintf() / vsnprintf() functions, and remove the
USE_SPRINTF and USE_VSPRINTF hacks completely which is also important because it removes a
potential buffer overflow.

> anybody out there who can test this with AS400?

I could test on AS400 but mod_jk didn't works on AS400, seems to me a
thread/log problem and I can't figure it where