tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Any interest in "Asynchronous Servlets"
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:49:16 GMT
This is not quite the same as Comet. Main difference is that the
"Asynchronous Servlets" (AS) are not registered with the Poller.
It just means that when a HTTP request comes in, the Request/Response
pair can be handed off to a background thread.

Useful for AJAX scenarios.

Should we implement non-blocking read/write for Comet, we could reuse
that exact same implementation for the AS, and the web app could
implement it's own polling.

We would of course have the need for the ability to end the request
asynchronously, so that the request/response objects and everything that
goes with it can be recycled.

Filip