tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: memory leak with shrinking thread pools
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:56:42 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> you're of course right, I think I simply need to get rid of the thread
> local cache, and use the processor cache instead.
> do you have any idea of the performance penalty? I'd probably use a
> ConcurrentLinkedQueue or something instead of synchronized{processorCache}

There's a penalty already for using an executor (unfortunately). So
there could be a check: if using an executor, then use a processor pool
of some sort (a dumb synced stack could do it, but I don't know if it
would be better or worse speed wise - maybe about the same since there's
no read at all, only modifications of the "collection"), otherwise use
the thread local. Maybe there could be a better solution, but it's
probably the easy one.

I didn't think about this leak issue when I thought about supporting
executors.

Rémy