tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r524777 - /tomcat/connectors/trunk/jk/tools/jkrelease.sh
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 07:14:50 GMT
OK, I forgot, that I actually had a user and group named asf (I thought
tar would ignore their non-existance).

But I agree with William, that we should instead use a general purpose
user and group exactly because of the reasons given by him.

If a non-root user extracts the tarball, his ownership will be used, but
many people unfortunately do it as root, because of the final
installation steps and the end up with files created by root but owned
by some foreign user/group which might exist on their local system. I
never liked tarballs, which generated strange user ids when extracting them.

root as the user sounds like a plausible default, bin as a group will
work on most *nix systems (I shortly checked Solaris, SuSE Linux and
people.apache.org), although the ideas what bin is used for seem to vary
a lot. All in all I would suggest root:bin to.

Regards,

Rainer