tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r513601 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk: java/org/apache/catalina/core/StandardContext.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 11:45:08 GMT
Re-reading the 2.4 spec - most references to load-on-startup state any
non-negative number gets loaded in order lowest to highest. (Starting at 0)

BUT in the 2.2 DTD - there is this gem:
"The load-on-startup element indicates that this servlet should be
loaded on the startup of the web application.
The optional contents of these element must be a positive integer
indicating the order in which the servlet should be loaded.
Lower integers are loaded before higher integers.
If no value is specified, or if the value specified is not a positive
integer, the container is free to load it at any time in the startup
sequence."

So an older version of the spec had 0 special case where zero meant load
on startup - but don't care when. (Since zero is not a positive
integer). That special case disappeared starting in spec version 2.3.

-Tim