tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Christophe Pierret" <cpier...@sparus-software.com>
Subject RE: Re: reload on demand
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 09:42:38 GMT
JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA supports reloading classes when you decide by the menu "Run"/"Reload
Changed classes".
This option only works if you did not modify the structure of the classes (e.g.: by adding
methods).
It uses support from the JVM debugging APIs so it works very well, it will manage existing
instances as instances of the previous class version and new instances will be created using
the new version.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] De la part de Kent Tong
Envoyé : vendredi 2 mars 2007 04:51
À : dev@tomcat.apache.org
Objet : Re: reload on demand

Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devlists <at> hanik.com> writes:

> see that the solution I gave you, doesn't need to reload the app, it
> simply reloads the individual class file. for large apps, you don't
> have to wait for the entire app to reload that would qualify as
> automatic too, wouldnt it?

Thanks. I've taken a look at it. Here are some issues with it:
1) It still uses a timer. So it will still keep reloading when I am editing my files.
2) I have to specified which servlet classes to monitor. It seems there is no way to monitor
all classes (including domain classes).
3) Reloading only a particular class will probably break the webapp (eg, when instances of
classes hold references to its instances).