tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Let's get 5.5.21 out the door...
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2007 01:34:57 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> The bit that has to be done (ie is mandated by Apache rules) is a vote
> by the PMC (three +1's required) to release a tarball.
>
> Given that a -1 vote is not valid for a release vote, as soon as we
> have 3 +1's from the PMC we can release. This means the release
> process can be:
>
> 1. RM creates tarball, puts it on people.a.o or tomcat.a.o/dev/dist
> 2. RM creates binaries but keeps them private for now
> 3. RM calls for alpha/beta/stable vote on tarball
> 4. 3 +1's later RM publishes previously created tarball and binaries
> 5. RM waits for mirrors to sync and then announces release
> 6. Some period later we have a stability vote if the release was alpha
> or beta
>
> Given that the RM can vote at stage 4, only two other PMC +1's are
> needed to release. There are usually enough PMC members around that
> this vote could be concluded in hours.
>
> Based on the above, I don't see why we couldn't turn around a release
> in a single day.

I am ok with changing the release process if something simpler is
possible. I am interested in speeding up the process by cutting back on
the number of votes.

The process would be:
1. create tarball and unofficial binaries, put them on
people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6
2. wait 4-5 days
3. call for alpha/beta/stable vote on build
4. 3 +1's later publish previously created tarball and binaries to
www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-6
5. announce release after sync of the website

Rémy