tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Felix Meschberger" <>
Subject Re: Jasper: Using a non-File based environment
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:38:57 GMT

Sorry to not have replied earlier - I was very much distracted into the
underwoods ....

On 11/17/06, Remy Maucherat <> wrote:
> File abstraction is already present in Tomcat (for example, JSP used to
> run on top of Slide), so you can have all webapp resources loaded from a
> repository of your choice, rather than the filesystem.

If you want generated source and classes to be stored in the repository,
> then I really don't see the point. For starters, it's an implementation
> detail which could go away.

I agree with the second point. For the first point - why not storing the
java sources and class files in the filesystem: We are building a system
ontop of JCR which supports staging with replication. We will have separate
development, author and publishing systems, where JSP development generally
take place on the development system. There are use cases, where we would
not want to replicate the JSP sources but the JSP class files. In these
cases, having the class files in the repository would allow us to use the
same mechanics for this.