tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Discussion mod_jk and mod_dir interaction
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:06:43 GMT
Rainer Jung wrote:
> Hi Mladen,
>>
>> Things like DirectoryIndex are completely
>> useless and further more breaks the security,
>> because the Tomcat must serve the default content.
>
> I simply don't understand, what this means functionally, i.e. how
> DirectoryIndex and ForwardDirectories should work with mod_jk.

The shouldn't ;)

>> So, although some hacks can be done, I'll veto
>> any option that will allow serving as default
>> some content that wouldn't be served by Tomcat
>> using his configure.
>
> If I try to interprete this, it would disallow to forward a request
> /test/ as /test/file to tomcat, if file is a DirectoryIndex

Yes. It works only when they are on the same box at the
first place. However the Tomcat might have different
welcome file list order, and that's the problem.

> - even if "/test/file" would match a JkMount
> - and even if "/test/file" can be matched to a file system entry by Apache.
>
> Correct? This is different from current behaviour. So you suggest to
> completely ignore DirectoryIndex for mod_jk and only forward directory
> requests to tomcat, if
>
> - they don't get served by apache
> - they match a JkMount
> - and ForwardDirectories is set.
>
> Correct?

Basically, the entire point is that Tomcat *must* decide
what should be served for a directory request by welcome file.
Forcing that via foreign application is a clear breakage
of the specs.

The entire concept originates back from the days when
most of the deployments were on the same box (having a cluster
decade ago was a privilege only for few companies in the world).

Regards,
Mladen.