tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kaufman <m...@mkaufman.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject Possible javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet bugs, and where to report them?
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:06:32 GMT
I think there's a bug in javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet, but I'm not
sure where to report it. I'm posting this here for the time being (and
possibly on the Glassfish "issue tracker" if and when I can jump through
the hoops required to do so), but please let me know if it ought to be
reported some other way: and apologies if this doesn't belong here!

The actual bug is that the "NoBodyResponse" inner class within
HttpServlet doesn't track whether getWriter or getOutput stream have
been called, and doesn't alter the response's behaviour accordingly.

This differs from the ServletResponse Javadoc which states that:
- Calls to getWriter are supposed to throw IllegalStateException if
getOutputStream has already been called and vice-versa.
- The behaviour of various other methods depend on whether or not
getWriter has already been called (e.g. setCharacterEncoding is supposed
to have no effect if getWriter has already been called).

As a result, HTTP "HEAD" requests may complete successfully where an
identical "GET" would fail with an IllegalStateException, or "HEAD" and
"GET" may result in different headers (and different results from
methods such as getCharacterEncoding whilst processing the request).

A more general issue is that the NoBodyResponse class could, and perhaps
should (to conform to SRV 8.2 of the Servlet specification), be a
ServletResponseWrapper subclass. At the very least this would shorten
and simplify its code. The Apache Tomcat bug database includes a couple
of entries for this (Tomcat 4 bug 10555 and Tomcat 5 bug 22290), and
although these have long since been "closed" on the basis that this code
is the responsibility of the Servlet API itself rather than Tomcat, and
therefore these bugs were handed over to the Servlet API feedback e-mail
address "servletapi-feedback@eng.sun.com", I can't find any sign of this
being followed up anywhere or ever being finally resolved.

This has left me rather unclear as to where to report HttpServlet bugs.
The code itself doesn't seem to be part of the Servlet specification,
but is supplied as part of the standard "servlet.jar", "javaee.jar" or
equivalent; the source code is present and identical in multiple
versions of Tomcat, and Glassfish, and probably elsewhere; Tomcat bug
22290 indicates that the Servlet API people are responsible for
maintaining the code but they only seem to have an e-mail address, which
itself may be obsolete (I've had no reply to an e-mail sent to it,
though with e-mails it's always hard to be sure); Tomcat was the
reference implementation for earlier API versions but now it's Glassfish
(or is it Sun Java System Application Server?); the code has copyright
notices for both Sun and Apache; and the Sun bug database has some bug
reports for HttpServlet but not since Dec 2002, and its bug report form
doesn't really seem to cater for this.

Sorry, but I'm confused!!! Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to
where bugs in javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet should be reported?

Whilst we're here, I think there are also some other minor/cosmetic
issues in the HttpServlet code:
- The "write" method of the NoBodyOutputStream inner class has a comment
saying that a negative length should "maybe" be an
IllegalArgumentException, but the code actually throws an IOException.
If this really should be an IllegalArgumentException, it ought to be
fixed. If an IOException is OK, or if fixing this now isn't acceptable
in case it breaks existing code, then maybe the comment should be
removed (or updated to explain this).
- The "write" method of the NoBodyOutputStream inner class reports
negative lengths by looking-up an "err.io.negativelength" message, but
it then ignores the result and instead uses a hard-coded string as the
actual error message.
- The doTrace method includes a "close" of the output stream when it has
finished. However, prior to this it sets the content length and then
writes that amount of content, which should always result in the output
stream being automatically flushed and closed. Hence the response has
already been closed when the call to close occurs. Whilst it should
usually be fairly safe to assume that repeating a close won't do any
harm, the output stream is implementation-specific, and I can't see
anything that says it must allow duplicate close attempts (and why
attempt the close at all if it isn't needed?).
- The doTrace method ends with a "return;" statement, which seems rather
pointless as the last statement of a method.