tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Jackson" <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [TC6] Minimum coding style
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:47:22 GMT

> AS FOR STYLE, I THINK ALL UNNECESSARY
> WHITESPACE SHOULD BE BANNED AND TABS
> MADE ILLEGAL, THEY JUST INCREASE
> FILE SIZE TOO MUCH AND MY COMMODORE
> 64 JUST CAN'T HANDLE SOME OF THOSE
> LARGE SOURCE FILES ALL IN ONE GO.
>
> PLEASE WRITE YOUR JAVA LIKE THIS:
>
> public class Foobar{private String
> NAME;public void Foobar(){}public
> String getName(){return this.NAME;
> public void setName(String NAME){
> this.NAME=NAME;}

Although meant in jest, I'm stuck on a relatively slow link and
anything that reduces the amount of needless code downloaded the
better in my opinion.  I know most people have uber-fast DSL
connections etc, but many people in the developing world don't, and
having 400K of extraneous whitespace that must be downloaded to check
out the source to a project is annoying :)

I have no problem with whitespace that is used to make code readable,
I do have a problem with needless newlines tacked on the end of every
single damn source file, and trailing spaces at the end of every if ()
{ block because it was cut'n'pasted from somewhere.

Anyway
my 2c
Kev