tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r487408 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/transport: AbstractRxTask.java RxTaskPool.java WorkerThread.java bio/BioReceiver.java bio/BioReplicationThread.java nio/NioReceiver.java nio/NioReplicationThread.java
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 04:49:07 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> fhanik@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: fhanik
>> Date: Thu Dec 14 16:26:22 2006
>> New Revision: 487408

>> Log:
>> refactor, name change, in preparation of having a pluggable Executor
>> and more thread fairness on receiving data
>
> Since you're adding usage of executor, it would be good to plan to
> support getting an executor from the engine. This would allow having a
> thread pool shared among all heavy thread users (like processing
> threads in the connectors, which already do support executors, but the
> Executor element - child of Engine most likely - is not defined yet).
> Of course, using a fancy thread pool is slower than using a super dumb
> one, and is not terribly useful in many cases, so the dumb one should
> remain there.
I might switch to a dumb pool, as I'm not really happy with the
functionality of the executor, however, the biggest gain from this patch
was that dispatched events got queued, hence they get ordered, and
instead of relying on notifyall or other stuff, I can process the events
in the order they are received.

you can still tag away, I'm gonna run some tests until I finalize this,
I believe I can still use the Executor interface to implement a dumb
thread pool :)

Filip