tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Auto application log file config
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 21:03:50 GMT
Yo,

I'm running into situations where we have tons of applications being
deployed and undeployed on our servers.
Because of the vast number of application, and applications changing
dynamically, we're running into the following problem.

Because logging is configured in logging.properties, and this is read
upon startup, we are unable to properly redirect ServletContext.log
messages.
ideally, we'd like the option to have each application log into its own
log file,

for example, $CATALINA_BASE/conf/context.xml could look like this

<Context log="auto" logPrefix="${catalina.base}/logs/${name}."
logSuffix=".log"/>

This by no mean is the actual proposal, I'd like some feedback on this
feature first, I find it useful, as I would never have to configure
static logs for my applications

thoughts?

Filip