tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject tldCache oddities
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 16:05:18 GMT
Hi,

I tested JSF since some people said the listener wasn't being found (the
said listener is declared in a TLD which is in a JAR). I found it worked
very well, but the way it is handled is funny because of the serialized
cache:
- Catalina will cache but will not bother when adding/removing JARs (for
example, if you have the cardemo example, you realize the JSF JARs are
not there, and after the first falied run, you add the JARs in
/WEB-INF/lib or lib; it is not going to work unless tldCache.ser is
deleted from the work dir; there's a last modified check, but obviously
it cannot detect this sort of changes, which is going to be the most
frequent), and could easily give the impression TLDs are not properly
found and parsed (note: the bahavior is the same with 5.5)
- Jasper will reparse everything anyway, scanning all JARs in the
process ( :( )

Avoiding scanning and parsing TLDs is of course faster, but I would like
to removing caching in Catalina (with a flag to enable it explicitly),
and add a feature where Catalina will pass an ArrayList of JARs
containing TLDs to Jasper as an attribute like the annotation processor
(if the attribute is not there, Jasper will rescan everything, so it
should remain compatible). This should make up for the slowdown to some
extent. Unfortunately, I cannot find a cool trick to allow caching, but
if someone has an idea ...

Comments ?

Rémy