tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r471306 - in /tomcat/container/tc5.5.x: catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/session/StandardSession.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2006 00:44:03 GMT
markt@apache.org wrote:
> Author: markt
> Date: Sat Nov  4 16:33:02 2006
> New Revision: 471306

> Log:
> Fix bug 37356. I know concern has been expressed about using syncs here.
> I have tested the impact of using syncs with both an artificial test case that just calls
access() followed by endAccess() on the StandardSession object and with JMeter using different
numbers of threads to make a request in the same session.
> For the single thread case:
> - JMeter impact was negligible.
> - With the wrapper, it was about 150 nanoseconds per request which explains why the JMeter
test didn't shown anything.
> For two threads:
> - JMeter impact was about 9 microseconds (0.4%) per request
> - The wrapper was much higher at 50 milliseconds but this is expected given the nature
of the test is such that far more contention than normal will be seen
> For five threads
> - JMeter impact was about 75 microseconds (4%) per request
>
> My conclusion is that the uncontended impact is negligible and the contended impact is
sufficiently low for syncs to be acceptable.

> Obviously, these figures are for my hardware but it is fairly standard so the figures
should be typical.

I think you should use the strict compliance flag, as only 2 people need
activity checking.

Rémy