tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <mailing-tomcat-...@schoenhaber.de>
Subject Re: Making connector defaault address as 0.0.0.0
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:10:56 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> > Mladen Turk wrote:
> >
> > BTW: why is this situation special wrt the native connector?
>
> Right, but that's not the case for all supported OS-es.
> Windows for sure (and Solaris I think) will refuse
> 127.0.0.1 when the address="::"

Do I understand that correctly? What you're basically saying is: someone
enables IPv6 on his machine, Tomcat listens on all IPv6 addresses but for
some limitation of some OS[1] isn't accessible via IPv4 anymore. The solution
you propse is to make sure that on *all* OSes (limitations in this regard or
not) Tomcat is not accessible via IPv6.
I don't consider that a good idea. Therfore, again, my plea: if you really
make this change, do it in a way so that this can easily be undone.

Why not simply document the fact that on an OS with these limitations
additional measures have to be taken - like setting the address property of
the Connector or creating an Ipv4->IPv6 redirection - if IPv4 access to
Tomcat is (also) required?

Regards
  mks

[1] Maybe even on Windows there's some equivalent to Linux'
sysctl net.ipv6.bindv6only=0
or BSD's
sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.v6only=0