tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Wilmoth <jonwilm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: v5.5.x default context support outside of server.xml
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:36:43 GMT
Below is the response I got from the user list after inquiring about how to specify the default
context for a given host in v5.5.x.  If this is indeed the correct way to specify the default
context for a host in v 5.5.x, could I request that one of the following be done (in order
of personal preference).

1) have tomcat respect the value of the "path" context attribute regardless of where the context
is defined (inside server.xml or in mywebappcontext.xml)

2) add an attribute to host element allowing explicit declaration of the default context's
path.

3) Add a section to the documentation that outlines the procedure for defining the default
context/host when the context is defined inside and outside server.xml (existing docs only
work for when context is defined in server.xml).

Also, having noticed the votes for v 6.0 (which is very cool), I have to ask if the "ROOT"
context name trick works the same in this new release.

Thanks,
Jon

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 9:06:00 AM
Subject: RE: v5.5.x default context support outside of server.xml

> From: Jon Wilmoth [mailto:jonwilmoth@yahoo.com]
> Subject: v5.5.x default context support outside of server.xml
>
> There seems to be some conflict between different sections
> of the context config documentation that leads me to believe
> it's not possible to specify a default virtual host's context
> with an empty string "path" attribute for a context.

The doc is a bit obtuse in this area, since it wasn't fully revised from
previous levels.  To specify the default app, you must first delete the
existing webapps/ROOT directory, then install your app in webapps/ROOT
(or webapps/ROOT.war) or put your <Context> element in
conf/[engine]/[host]/ROOT.xml.

- Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.