tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Source for Packages org.apache.tomcat.dbcp and below?
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:38:15 GMT
Hi,

> "re-packaged"?   Does that mean "wrapped"?

No, it just means the package names are changed, from
org.apache.commons.dbcp to org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.

> How are these related?  By extension?  By wrapping?  Do I cast one of these to:
>     org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource
> or can I cast it to:
>     org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource

They don't extend, they don't wrap, it's the same class just renamed
to a different package.  You can cast it to the Tomcat package name
(top one of the two above).  If you also have DBCP in its own original
jar in the same classloader repository, you should also be able to
cast the datasource to the DBCP name.

> I can find org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource in the jar files.  I
> cannot find org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource in the jar files.

As expected: like I said we're not extending or wrapping this DBCP
class, only renaming it.

> I was also trying to cast the DataSource returned by JNDI so I can query its
> properties.  Casting to org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource doesn't seem
> to work, resulting in a "package does not exist" even after including the jar
> file in the CLASSPATH.

Really, that casting doesn't seem to work?  I would expect it to...
Maybe you have an extra
.dbcp. in the package name above?

Yoav