tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Funding someone to fix a few bugs
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:07:44 GMT
Hi,
I think this is getting philosophical and off-topic...

On 9/11/06, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devlists@hanik.com> wrote:
> he he, we all have, including you, received money for consulting
> services due to our association and skillset gained from the ASF.

Sure I have, and like I said I'm not criticizing that in any way.

> if someone offers you $$ to fix a bug, that is no different. Whether the
> bug gets committed or not, has nothing to do with the $$,
> it simply follows the ASF process.

What George is suggesting that no money would be paid unless a patch
is committed, so it's not just about the ASF process.  We all agree (I
think) that the patch review process will be followed as usual, and we
also all trust each other to have the good of the project and the ASF
in mind.  None of these are the point.

> no, but we all live in a monetary world, so unless we are trust fund
> babies, money has to come from somewhere. if you don't like to call that
> funding, fine, but its money, used for a purpose, in your case, pay for
> your time and your equipment that allows you to work on ASF projects :)

That's a very abstract economic notion, under which indeed everything
is paid for, including things like biological cell division, the gulf
stream in the ocean, etc.  I bought my computer with money from my
current job, which has never had anything to do with the ASF.  I use
it to do ASF work on my free time, etc.  If you think that's the same
as someone paying me for a commit only after I make the commit (and if
you think the latter doesn't skew someone's priorities), we're living
in a different world, but that's OK ;)

Yoav