tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [6.0] Updates
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:26:07 GMT
On 9/29/06, Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org> wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > IMO both clustering implementations should be provided as separate
> > downloads.
> >
> > No need to put them in sandbox ( since they were released in the past,
> it's
> > 'proven' code ).
> > Not sure if they should be in separate repos or it's ok to have both of
> > them
> > in the main tree.
>
> Wow, this is harsh ;)
>
> I'll maintain my position (since people hate me enough already):
> - the code is proven enough so that a clustering impl remains bundled
> (given it's been force fed in 5.5)

There is no question about this - that's why it can stay in the main tree,
it is stable code.

And I agree with you that it's better to choose one.

- it's not a good idea to remove features that were included in a
> previous version

That's where I'm not sure I agree. We don't 'remove' a feature - we just
make it
available in a different package.  And 6.0 is the right place to make such
changes.
Nothing personal against clustering - but we need to start with something.

- only one implementation bundled, however; I favor the new one right
> now, as Filip claims it's merely a cleanup and an evolution of the old
> one, and nobody has shown yet it was hopelessly broken
> - it's rather small, so it's ok (at 300k, it's far smaller than the
> admin webapp), esp since people could also use it in their apps

Yes, the admin webapp should be a separate download as well :-)

The argument that people could use it doesn't hold - people use C++ or HTML
editors, but
it's not bundled in the core eclipse distro. Or they use LiveHeaders and
Greasemonkey, but
it's not in default firefox, neither the mail reader or html editors :-)

I think I prefer keeping a little more code in the core repository which
> would otherwise be absolutely needed. It doesn't hurt, and it makes
> people happy.

Sure - in repository we can keep all the code, but that doesn't mean we
should have big
monolithic releases.

We already had multiple downloads - we can even do 'tomcat complete' ( i.e.
tomcat
bundled with all features ) and 'tomcat essentials'  + individual modules.

Treating features as modules can be good for everyone.

 Costin

Rémy