tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [6.0] Updates
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:54:54 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> IMO both clustering implementations should be provided as separate
> downloads.
>
> No need to put them in sandbox ( since they were released in the past, it's
> 'proven' code ).
> Not sure if they should be in separate repos or it's ok to have both of
> them
> in the main tree.

Wow, this is harsh ;)

I'll maintain my position (since people hate me enough already):
- the code is proven enough so that a clustering impl remains bundled
(given it's been force fed in 5.5)
- it's not a good idea to remove features that were included in a
previous version
- only one implementation bundled, however; I favor the new one right
now, as Filip claims it's merely a cleanup and an evolution of the old
one, and nobody has shown yet it was hopelessly broken
- it's rather small, so it's ok (at 300k, it's far smaller than the
admin webapp), esp since people could also use it in their apps

I think I prefer keeping a little more code in the core repository which
would otherwise be absolutely needed. It doesn't hurt, and it makes
people happy.

Rémy