tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Proposal - Comet changes
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:46:21 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
>> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> That's a second step :) It's a good idea because at the moment
>> there's only a boolean, so it's not possible to do anything except
>> sending an ERROR or READ event.
>>
>> Right now, I'm doing all the changes in the servlet container (which
>> is enough to keep me busy for now, and is independent).
>
> Looking at the event types and subtypes:
> - BEGIN: ok, no problem
> - READ: ok, no problem either
> - END/WEBAPP_RELOAD: it's useful, but it will be expensive (and not
> easy) to track which connection is associated with which webapp, and
> to close them; there could be an option to do this sort of tracking
> for people who would like to redeploy in production; I think the
> tracking and cleanup would best be done by the servlet itself using a
> listener
yes, this is a tricky one, let me think about it for a bit.
> - END/SERVER_SHUTDOWN: already done, but as an error event; I think
> the name should be changed to STOP or something, however, since only
> the connector could be stopped
I'm ok with the name change.
> - END/SESSION_END: ?; does this mean when the HTTP session expires ?
> It's about the same as WEBAPP_RELOAD, then: useful, but expensive and
> not easy to do (= another option); note also that the servlet can do
> this sort of tracking by itself (it can have a map of the connection
> and associated session, and use a session listener)
can't remember what I was thinking on this one.
> - ERROR/TIMEOUT: no problem; there should be the possibility for the
> servlet to not terminate the connection for that one (the connection
> goes back to the poller with a brand new timeout value), however
> - ERROR/CLIENT_DISCONNECT: ok, except on Windows with APR (a READ
> event will be generated instead, and it will read an EOF); NIO may
> have the same issue
I believe you are correct
> - ERROR/IOEXCEPTION: I don't understand that one: I think people will
> get an exception when reading invalid data, as usual
it was intended as a global catch all subtype. ie, if there is a poller
error. if data is invalid, then yes, read will throw ServletException or
IOException.

> For some of these events, we could provide with Tomcat a set of
> utility valves which would implement them, such as a connection
> tracking valve (closes connections on reloads or when sessions expire).
agreed

got my hands full today, will sleep on it some more.
Filip