tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal - Comet changes
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:31:58 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> That's a second step :) It's a good idea because at the moment there's
> only a boolean, so it's not possible to do anything except sending an
> ERROR or READ event.
>
> Right now, I'm doing all the changes in the servlet container (which is
> enough to keep me busy for now, and is independent).

Looking at the event types and subtypes:
- BEGIN: ok, no problem
- READ: ok, no problem either
- END/WEBAPP_RELOAD: it's useful, but it will be expensive (and not
easy) to track which connection is associated with which webapp, and to
close them; there could be an option to do this sort of tracking for
people who would like to redeploy in production; I think the tracking
and cleanup would best be done by the servlet itself using a listener
- END/SERVER_SHUTDOWN: already done, but as an error event; I think the
name should be changed to STOP or something, however, since only the
connector could be stopped
- END/SESSION_END: ?; does this mean when the HTTP session expires ?
It's about the same as WEBAPP_RELOAD, then: useful, but expensive and
not easy to do (= another option); note also that the servlet can do
this sort of tracking by itself (it can have a map of the connection and
associated session, and use a session listener)
- ERROR/TIMEOUT: no problem; there should be the possibility for the
servlet to not terminate the connection for that one (the connection
goes back to the poller with a brand new timeout value), however
- ERROR/CLIENT_DISCONNECT: ok, except on Windows with APR (a READ event
will be generated instead, and it will read an EOF); NIO may have the
same issue
- ERROR/IOEXCEPTION: I don't understand that one: I think people will
get an exception when reading invalid data, as usual

For some of these events, we could provide with Tomcat a set of utility
valves which would implement them, such as a connection tracking valve
(closes connections on reloads or when sessions expire).

Rémy