tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Funding someone to fix a few bugs
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:59:54 GMT
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/11/06, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devlists@hanik.com> wrote:
>> so you fund your own time, that the whole point. Someone, and always
>> someone funds your time here.
>> Be it yourself, a company or something else
>
> If you think my working on something on my own time, on my own
> equipment, without anyone asking me to prioritize things according to
> their criteria is the same as a company paying me currency in exchange
> for individual commits, have a blast... I don't see it that way, not
> by a long shot.
he he, we all have, including you, received money for consulting
services due to our association and skillset gained from the ASF.
if someone offers you $$ to fix a bug, that is no different. Whether the
bug gets committed or not, has nothing to do with the $$,
it simply follows the ASF process.

> Note that I'm not criticising those who do: I'm obviously aware of the
> various types of working relationships we have here now and in the
> past (Covalent, JBoss, Sun, IBM, Mortbay, etc.).  I don't mind it at
> all, it's an individual choice.  I'm just saying not all of us are
> funded in the same way.
no, but we all live in a monetary world, so unless we are trust fund
babies, money has to come from somewhere. if you don't like to call that
funding, fine, but its money, used for a purpose, in your case, pay for
your time and your equipment that allows you to work on ASF projects :)

Filip