tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From George Sexton <gsex...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Funding someone to fix a few bugs
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:10:02 GMT
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> George Sexton wrote:
>> > Is it permitted to offer to fund someone to fix a few bugs? I have
>> > three things I'd like to see fixed. One trivial, and two non-trivial.
> I'm not sure, but I'm not aware of precedents, and I am aware of some
> discussion against this idea.
I really need these things fixed and I really don't have time to try to
do it myself. I'm not sure what other recourse I could have other than
trying to drum up support from other users. I'm guessing that very few
people are doing large scale virtual hosting with Tomcat, so this might
not work.

>> As with any patches, you can offer someone $ to come up with a patch,
>> that patch will be submitted, reviewed and if accepted applied to the
>> code base.
> Yes, the normal patch review and acceptance criteria still apply.
> Even if you paid someone, a patch can be -1ed or otherwise not make it
> into the product.
I understand how this works... Milestone payments would be made on
commit, and release of a stable version incorporating the feature.

I'm hoping that since they are genuine defects (IOW, they haven't yet
been rejected as INVALID) that a patch of good quality would be accepted.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.