tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Bertelsen" <bertelsen.e...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5.18-beta-1 preview
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2006 06:05:35 GMT
2006/9/1, Yoav Shapira <yoavs@apache.org>:

> Hi,
> In the past, the RM announced the release publicly with his/her
> perception of quality, and we had a stability vote after some time.
> Following some discussions on this mailing list over the past few
> months, I think we've decided to change it to the current process.
> That process is starts with the RM posting a release in a non-official
> location and announcing it on the dev list, as you have, people
> testing that release, a stability vote here, and then a formal release
> announcement coupled with the distributions placed in an official
> location for mirroring.

Hi all,

I liked one thing from the "oldish" way of releasing: If I ever downloaded
e.g.
apache-tomcat-5.5.17.tar.gz, I would not see changes to that file. If it was
released, it would be with a new version ("version numbers are cheap").

If the new way is to cut several slightly different issues of a version as
has
just happened with 5.5.18, I would very much like that they are built
and distributed with a SNAPSHOT, RC, PRE or whatever extension to the
version in the filename and then rebuilt with the pure name when released to
the public servers. Then I just have to check whether I have a copy of
apache-tomcat-5.5.18.tar.gz without having to look at the date or size to
verify whether it is the real thing (once it is released).

Kind regards
Erik Bertelsen