tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Berry <jbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: parameters in URL path segments
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:50:00 GMT

On Aug 23, 2006, at 2:22 PM, James Berry wrote:

>>> Tomcat should be blind to the very existence of parameters
>>> because it
>>> doesn't place any meaning on them.

Perhaps I should clarify that when I say tomcat should be "blind" to
parameters, perhaps I really should have said "Tomcat should not be
discerning of parameters". It should completely _not_recognize_
parameters. It's not that it shouldn't see them, but that it
shouldn't recognize them as anything but a string of characters. It
should treat the strings of characters "one", "two", "one+two",
"one;two", "one;two=three", "one,two=three", etc, no differently
(yes, they are distinct strings, but none is more special than any
other). rfc 3986 basically says they should be no distinctions
between these segment names.

James