tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dies Koper <d...@jp.fujitsu.com>
Subject change in session activity tracking between Tomcat 4.1/5.0 and Tomcat 5.5
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:28:42 GMT
Hello,

I'm looking into an issue we ran into when upgrading from Tomcat 4.1 to
Tomcat 5.5.

The time returned by the HttpSession.getLastAccessTime method seems to
have changed.
We believe it should return the time of the previous request from the
same client. It did in Tomcat 4.1. It did so no matter whether that
client accessed a Servlet or an html file.

However, in Tomcat 5.5 it only returns this time if the previous request
went to a servlet, and that servlet called the getSession or
request.encodeURL method. Otherwise it returns the time of the last
request from that client that did call either of those methods.

I am a bit confused why. Did the Tomcat developers disagree with the
Servlet spec or the interpretation of it at the time Tomcat 4.1 was
released and is this now fixed? Or is it an accidental side-effect of
another change?

The reason I ask is because I need to solve this problem. Should I look
for a work-around or try to write a patch?

So far, I found that the change happened in Tomcat 5.0, with the
following commit.

Revision: 302627