tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: [TC6] Cluster and storeconfig
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 18:07:39 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> Here are my suggestions:
>>
>> 1. Incorporate modules/ha as the cluster solution into TC6
>
> Ok.
>
>> 2. Keep modules/groupcom as a separate module
>>   The reason I suggest a separate module, is cause it is a fairly
>> complex component and will have
>>   a fairly large documentation base, it might be better to keep it
>> separate and have it
>>   release separately from the core. That way, a busted IO component,
>> will not set back the tomcat release.
>
> This sounds ambitious, given the testing that ensures that the
> clustering is not "busted" in a particular release is only done weeks
> later.
not sure I understand.
> Similarly, the plan about big docs is fine, but I didn't see anything
> being started at the moment.
it is ambitious, but it happens to be that I am now in a position to
dedicate way more time than I have ever had before.
There are docs have started,
http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/tribes/docs/introduction.html
paused at the moment while I am developing HTTPS connector with java.nio
(was a little tricky to get my head around but it should be done next week).
> I would like to keep the Tomcat build and packaging simple, so this
> will mean that all external modules would be external components then ?
sure, I understand, shouldn't be very difficult at all.
if you want to include it at build time, then you can just invoke the
build script under modules/groupcom/build, and generate it directly from
there,
or we can keep versioned binaries.
was there ever a decision to have TC6 completely module-less? I don't
remember a final decision on that, do you remember the status of those
conversations?

>> 3. Storeconfig - this is Peter's baby and would be his choice.
>>   I personally would suggest a rewrite of it and have a storeconfig
>> that is not dependent on the classes of tomcat,
>>   ie, storeconfig today has one class for every component in tomcat,
>>   so as soon as you swap out a component to a custom class,
>>   there is no saving for that component anymore.
>>   It could be equally easy to create a completely standalone
>> configuration tool.
>>   But since I am not that familiar here,
>>   I'd prefer to leave that decision to Peter if he has time to
>> maintain it in TC6.
>
> A rewrite plan is not realistic at this time.
for sure,