tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [TC6] Cluster and storeconfig
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:13:04 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> Here are my suggestions:
>
> 1. Incorporate modules/ha as the cluster solution into TC6

Ok.

> 2. Keep modules/groupcom as a separate module
>   The reason I suggest a separate module, is cause it is a fairly
> complex component and will have
>   a fairly large documentation base, it might be better to keep it
> separate and have it
>   release separately from the core. That way, a busted IO component,
> will not set back the tomcat release.

This sounds ambitious, given the testing that ensures that the
clustering is not "busted" in a particular release is only done weeks
later. Similarly, the plan about big docs is fine, but I didn't see
anything being started at the moment. I would like to keep the Tomcat
build and packaging simple, so this will mean that all external modules
would be external components then ?

> 3. Storeconfig - this is Peter's baby and would be his choice.
>   I personally would suggest a rewrite of it and have a storeconfig that
> is not dependent on the classes of tomcat,
>   ie, storeconfig today has one class for every component in tomcat,
>   so as soon as you swap out a component to a custom class,
>   there is no saving for that component anymore.
>   It could be equally easy to create a completely standalone
> configuration tool.
>   But since I am not that familiar here,
>   I'd prefer to leave that decision to Peter if he has time to maintain
> it in TC6.

A rewrite plan is not realistic at this time.

Rémy