tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <>
Subject Re: JSP Compiler error messages lower quality in Tomcat 5.5?
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 18:56:35 GMT

On 7/6/06, M Coffee <> wrote:
> The quality of the JSP compiler error messages for Tomcat 5 seems much worse than >those
for Tomcat

That's kind of funny: a few 5.5 releases ago I committed a patch
suggested by someone to make JSP error messages much clearer ;)  I
think it was for release 5.5.15 and the relevant Bugzilla issue is
37062: see it at

Obviously "clear" is a subjective term.  See if you like the Tomcat
5.5 behavior before 5.5.15 better or less than Tomcat 4, and let us
know.  Then perhaps we can work on a patch together.

> Is there a way to build Tomcat with different components to have it provide better compiler
> error messages?

Generically speaking, you can customize Tomcat any which way you want.
 And if you find a setup that works better for you with regards to JSP
error messages, we'd love to hear about it, see your patch, and
hopefully include it in the product itself.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message