tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: svn commit: r426711 - in /apr/apr-util/trunk: include/apr_uri.h uri/apr_uri.c]
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:31:13 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Jean-frederic Clere wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does it make sense we register the AJP port to IANA?
>>

> No.
> It has numerous limitations that makes it almost
> unusable in anything but webserver->servlet-engine
> communication. And even that is limited by the
> 8K message. We should persuade a next generation
> binary http protocol instead giving more dependency
> on the already limited one.

-1. If you're going to redesign a brand new protocol to get around the
"limitations" of AJP (which actually make it superior to HTTP), then
HTTP should be used instead. To summarize, I don't see the point of a
"next gen" binary HTTP protocol (BTW, I don't have any idea how you can
call functionality like that "next gen" ;) ).

A small patch to the protocol to work around the 8K limitation should be
possible. I don't see the problem with proposing it to IANA as
Jean-Frédéric suggested even if there's no protocol patch: AJP is very
widely used, and will continue to be used even if the limitation remains.

Rémy